First Baptist Church has been a light in this community for over 110 years. The first religious services in Opp were held in a small building in the vicinity of what is presently Virginia's Studio. Interested worshippers increased in number and a larger building was needed, so W.S. Spurlin offered his cotton warehouse for a meeting place.
In April of 1902, with Reverend A.T. Sims as pastor, First Baptist was organized with 27 charter members. During the time under Pastor Sims, plans were made to build a church building, which was complete by early 1903.
In 1924, under the pastorate of Reverend C.S. Thomas, a great need for a larger and more modern church building became apparent. God led those early dedicated Christians to give sacrificially to build what is today our current worship building. The first service in the new building was held on September 5, 1926. the Lord has continued to assemble this congregation for worship at its present location for more than 85 years. Thanks be to God for the faithful labors of generations of Christian men and women who served the Lord and worked to reach the lost.
Through prayer, love, and continual sacrifice the congregation paid for the church building by 1942. Pastor Earle Trent challenged the members to pledge the entire amount of the indebtedness and in November of 1942 a worship service, dedicating God's house, celebrated the completed payment of the debt.
Following the completion of the worship center, two educational buildings were built to add room for children and youth ministries. The first wing was completed in 1954 during the pastorate of Reverend Sheppard Bryan. The second building was completed and dedicated in January of 1983 under the leadership of Pastor James Pharr.
In the year 1959, under the leadership of Pastors Earl Hall and Ralph Thomas, First Baptist began a mission church. Pastor Thomas became the pastor of the mission church which would later become what is today Southside Baptist Church.
In the 1990's, First Baptist expanded its facilities again under Pastor David Franklin. The church added the Recreation Activities Center (RAC), the Fellowship Center, and a large parking area. The growth of the church made necessary the renovation the original education buildings and the move to two morning services each Sunday.
First Baptist has had a significant spiritual heritage. The past decades of church history give evidence of God's providential hand in founding growing and blessing the ministry of His church. God is still building his church here at FBC, Opp. With Christ as our head, we long to become a healthier, vibrant witness for the name of Christ in our community, state, country, and around the world.